• Resources
  • blog


When someone dies

When someone dies

When someone dies it’s not the easiest subject to talk about and one most of us don’t want to even think about.   It’s a sad and emotional time.   However, there are some practical tasks that need to happen. To make this time easier Grassby & Sons Funeral Directors have created a short list of the necessary steps to help you through this time.


Issuing a death certificate

When someone dies at home – call the family doctor and nearest relative.  If it was expected, the doctor will provide you with a medical certificate showing the cause of death and a formal notice saying that they have signed the medical certificate with instructions on how to register the death.  If the person is to be cremated, two certificates are necessary signed by different doctors (this will be arranged by the funeral director).

If someone dies in hospital – they will take care of issuing the medical certificate and formal notice.

If someone dies unexpectedly – or the family doctor hasn’t seen them in the last 14 days, the death is reported to a coroner.  A coroner is a doctor or lawyer responsible for investigating unexpected deaths.   They may call for a post-mortem or inquest, which may take some time, so the funeral may need to be delayed.

nice 3058725 640

Registering a death

You will need to register the death, which ideally must be done within five days.  To do this you need to contact the local registrar or Births, Deaths and Marriage to arrange a death certificate.  (www.gov.uk/register-offices).

The registrar will provide you with a death certificate and will also provide a ‘green form’ which should be given to the funeral director, so they can collect the deceased from the mortuary if they died in hospital.

The registrar can provide additional copies of the death certificate for use when informing other organisations.

Informing organisations who need to know

Most local councils run a service called Tell Us Once – it lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go. The registrar will tell you about using Tell Us Once and give you a unique reference number to access the service online or by phone. The following information is required to register:

  • Date of birth
  • National insurance number
  • Driving licence number
  • Passport number
  • Details of any benefits or entitlements such as State Pension
  • Details of any local council services e.g. Blue Badge
  • Name and address of next of kin
  • Name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate – their Executor/Administrator (you will need their permission to provide their details).

glasses 272403 340







Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • DVLA and the Passport Office
  • The Local Council

You will need to notify:

  • Company pensions/personal pension providers
  • Banks and building societies (including joint accounts)
  • Company registrars of shareholdings
  • Credit card companies
  • Doctor’s surgery and hospital attended by the deceased
  • Insurance companies
  • Doctor’s surgery and hospital attended by the deceased
  • Insurance companies



Our Partners

Ask a Question

Post Question