Norfolk County Council Care Assessment 

3rd April 2018

Anyone who might need more help or support is eligible for a care assessment from the Norfolk County Council Social Care team. They can also carry out a carers assessment for a spouse or partner. The assessment will identify the needs and care required.   A financial assessment can also be carried out to establish whether or not your parents will have to pay for their own care. For more information on assessments, click here 

There are three main areas of eligibility for more care:

  • If the needs arise from a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • If your parent is unable to achieve two or more of the specified “care outcomes” (see below)
  • If there is likely to be a significant impact on their well-being.

For more detailed information click HERE

If  you feel your parents meet any of the criteria, then you can contact the Social Care team directly.


Our advice is to be with your parents for the care assessments if you possibly can, or ensure that someone they/you trust is.  Not only can you help avoid the “stiff upper lip” approach that some may take, minimising or downplaying their health/care issues for the assessment, but you can ensure that it covers all your parent’s health and social care needs – even if you know that they will be paying for any care themselves. The ‘care outcomes’ that the Social Care team  will consider are:

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Maintaining personal hygiene
  • Managing toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Being able to make use of the adult’s home safely
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of local community facilities or services including public transport

After the care assessment, NCC will write to you with a copy of your assessment, which will explain whether you are eligible for help and the reason for their decision.

If you are eligible, they will work with you to develop your care and support plan. If you are not eligible, they will still give you information and advice about what care and support is available to help you locally. This could be help from community groups or voluntary organisations.

If you are unhappy with the assessments you can appeal against them

What you should do first


Any relative or carer of any adult with needs should contact their local GP or health centre to find out who is responsible for the preparation of the crucial care and support needs assessment in their area.  Armed with this the stress and strain of helping an elderly relative or friend should be more straightforward. The primary responsibility on local authorities is not to provide “services” but to meet the needs of the adults in their area.

For more general information, the Which Guide has excellent information about the care and needs assessment .

If you are worried about funding  there is NHS funding available in various forms which might not be dependent on your parents finances;  check it out here.

For more advice on Self Funding Care Fees – visit our Money & Finance section.


Get our Free Care Guide
Listen to conversations with elderly care experts
Discussing Travel in Old Age with Debbie Marshall, founder of Silver Travel Advisor
Dementia explained – expert advice from Dr Alex Bailey
Depression and Delirium in old age – an interview with expert Dr Alex Bailey
Discussing Probate – advice from expert Jason Butler

Latest Forum Posts

By: David Sellers4 weeks ago

Join the Conversation

Join the Conversation

Join usAt Age Space’s heart is a friendly forum where you can ask questions, find creative answers, say the ‘unspeakable’, and read about the creative solutions others have come up with.