I was lucky enough to share tea and a chocolate Hob Nob (my favourite) with the wonderful Dorothy (Dot) Barker who at the grand age of 93 shares her Top 10 secrets for a long, happy and healthy life.
Dot moved to West Dorset last year to be closer to her great grandchildren and is still very much the head of the family.
Dot spent her younger years as a dancer and still manages her weekly ballroom dancing sessions which she claims keep her feeling young. Dot still lives independently and puts this down to her very active social life.
Here are Dot’s Top 10 secrets for a long, happy and healthy life:
1. Every morning without fail I drink a cup of warm lemon water. When winter comes I add a spoon of local honey to keep any colds at bay.
2. Don’t deny yourself simple pleasures in life, ‘A little bit of what you fancy does you the world of good’. At this point we both help ourselves to another chocolate Hob Nob!
3. Be close to nature and listen to the birds sing in the garden, it helps to keep you grounded.
4. Get fresh air every day.
5. Smile often, it costs nothing. A smile can get you far in life.
6. Love, a lot. I have always surrounded myself with the people that I love. If you give love you get it back in abundance.
7. Try not to worry, things always sort themselves out in the end.
8. Always dress to impress, you never know who you may meet. I wake every morning and put my make up on, even it is just for the postman.
9. Always try to see the best in people, you never know what someone is going through.
10. Most of all be grateful for everything that you have.
It was an absolute pleasure spending time with Dot and we discussed the merits of the film, ‘La La Land’ and we both agreed that it didn’t compete with our favourite film ‘Westside Story’.
I loved hearing Dot’s secrets to a long happy and healthy life and I think that in this modern world dominated by technology that we should all take Dot’s advice and spend time with the people that we love and try not to worry.
As I leave Dot she insists that I have another chocolate Hob Nob and I just can’t say no. I take her advice of having a little bit of what you fancy, after all she is still fit and healthy at the age of 93 and I bet that she could give me a run for my money on the dancefloor.