E-zec Medical Transport Services provide the elderly in Dorset with specialist, non-emergency transportation if they require support getting to and from their healthcare appointments.
This patient transport service is in place to support those who are registered with a GP practice in Dorset who need assistance attending a pre-booked appointment with a clinic or hospital. They will ensure that you are taken to your appointment by appropriate means of transport for any medical condition you may have, using vehicles tailored to your needs.
In order to book this service, you will need to contact the Patient Transport Advice Service Team by telephone on: 01278 727457.
Before travel can be confirmed, all patients will need to have their eligibility for the service confirmed.
Patients are entitled to the service if:
- Travelling by any other means would have a serious or detrimental effect on the patient's condition or recovery.
- The patient has restricted mobility and is unable to self-mobilise (i.e. is unable to stand or walk more than a few steps). This includes a pre-existing condition or where it would be detrimental to their condition or recovery to travel by any other means.
- The patient requires support from a qualified Patient Transport Services crew during the journey and is required to lie down for at least part of the journey or they are a stretcher patient.
- The patient is being transferred to another NHS facility and requires medical assistance during the journey.
- The patient requires continuous oxygen or other medical gasses or intravenous support.
- The patient has clearly recognised disabilities and is genuinely unable to travel by private or public transport to and from their appointments.
To confirm eligibility for Patient Transport Services, the Advice Centre will ask patients some short and simple questions. You or a nominated person on your behalf will be asked these questions when you call to make a booking.
There are three possible outcomes when you are assessed for eligibility:
- 1. You qualify for patient transport, based on your medical need.
- 2. You do not qualify for patient transport on medical grounds, but your transport costs may be re-imbursed because you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit.
- 3. You do not qualify for patient transport and will be given guidance on what the other options are.