South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) handles patient transport services in Buckinghamshire, sometimes referred to as Non-Emergency Patient Transport Services (NEPTS). All of their drives are first-aid accredited, trained with manual handling techniques and advanced driving skills. They have a breadth of knowledge to help them to deal with a variety of different medical conditions and scenarios.
The transport SCAS supplies is fully accessible and flexible to each individual passenger’s needs. This can include oxygen facilities or wheelchair support.
If you are ineligible for this service you might find it useful to look at community transport services in Buckinghamshire.
Eligibility for Patient Transport Services in Buckinghamshire
To be able to use the NEPTS service supplied by SCAS the passenger must:
- Live in Buckinghamshire area – and be registered with a Buckinghamshire/Milton Keynes GP.
- Be unable to use public transport or to get transport by other means due to medical condition. An accepted reason is frailty.
Only certain journeys are eligible to use the service. You would be unable, for example, to use the service to get to the shops, to a GP appointment or to see family and friends. Patient transport services can only be used for the following journeys:
- attending hospital outpatient clinics
- being admitted to or discharged from hospital wards
- needing life-saving treatments e.g. radiotherapy, chemotherapy, renal dialysis etc
Additional passengers who are accompanying the user with a medical condition, escorts, are welcomed if there is a medical requirement for them. It is imperative to tell the operator when you book that you will require space for an escort.
Booking Patient Transport Services in Buckinghamshire
To book a NEPTS with SCAS you can either email, phone, or, if you live in Milton Keynes, apply through the SCAS website.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0300 100 0024
When you book you should have to hand the patient’s personal details and NHS number, GP details, the date, time and location of their appointment, and their address.