Non-Emergency Patient Transport (NEPT) includes all transport to hospital appointments, treatment centres, and for hospital transfers. This does not include travel for GP or dental appointments, A&E visits or trips to minor injury units etc.
The current provider of NEPT in Cambridgeshire is the East of England Ambulance NHS Trust.
Use this page to discover if your elderly parent is eligible and find out how to book transport. If the journey does not meet the requirements it is worth taking a look at Cambridgeshire County Council’s page on Travel and Age Space’s guide on Community Transport Services in Cambridgeshire.
Eligibility for Patient Transport Services in Cambridgeshire
As availability for these services is in high demand East England the criteria for being able to book transport is comprehensive and covers both the journey and the individual in need of transport.
Which Journeys are eligible?
- Journeys must be to a pre booked hospital or treatment centre appointment. This does not include GP or dental appointments, A&E, Walk-in centres or minor injury units.
- Journeys must start and end at the individuals home (i.e you can’t be dropped off on the way home)
Who Is Eligible?
- Individuals must be registered with a Cambridgeshire or Peterborough GP
- Only those who would be unable to travel at all or take other means of transport due to medical conditions are eligible e.g.
- Patients who need assistance
- Those who may be suffering severe side effects following a treatment
- Patients who feel unsafe travelling alone
Someone is able to travel with you only in exceptional circumstances as pre-booking is required. These depend on medical needs and will be assessed over the phone when booking.
Booking Patient Transport Services
If your elderly parent has fulfilled all the eligibility requirements, you can book transport over the phone by calling 0345 603 8117. Lines are open every day from 8am – 6:30pm.
When you book you should have the patients NHS number, GP details and picking-up address handy, as well as being ready to answer some short questions on eligibility.