Home Adaptations For The Elderly In Hampshire

Home Adaptations For The Elderly In Hampshire

Home adaptations in Hampshire

Home Adaptations make a home environment safer and more comfortable. They can mean that your elderly relative can remain living independently for longer. In turn, this can improve their mental wellbeing and your peace of mind. To read more about making a home as safe as it can be, read our article on Safer Independent Living in Hampshire.

Home adaptations range from small to big, and include improvements such as fitting a hand rail or installing a stair lift.

The local council may recommend home adaptations to help through a care needs assessment – this is an evaluation of how much help and care someone needs. If the cost of the proposed changes is under £1000, the council will provide and install them for free. Find more information on booking a Care Needs Assessment in Hampshire here.

This article is on more profound, larger home adaptations that are recommended by an occupational therapist. You can then be referred for funding of up to £30,000, depending on need, through a Disabled Facilities Grant.

Getting a Home Assessment in Hampshire

Home assessments are carried out by occupational therapists. They are responsible for surveying homes and suggesting equipment and services to help people remain safe and independent. Occupational therapists are specialised in assisting people who have physical, mental or social difficulties as a result of ageing or illness. Health conditions that sometimes result in these difficulties include Arthritis, Dementia, Parkinson’s and Stroke.

An assessment will look into the following areas of mobility around the home:

Stair Lift - Home adaptation in Hampshire
  • access in and out of the home
  • getting up and down the stairs
  • getting in and out of bed
  • using the bathroom
  • using the kitchen
  • falls prevention around the home

Typical solutions available:

  • rails
  • stair lifts
  • level access shower
  • hoisting equipment
  • widening doorways
  • lowering surfaces
  • general advice

Please find your relative’s council below and contact the local occupational therapist using details provided, to arrange a suitable time for an assessment. The assessment will normally take place in their home, but occasionally a in clinic depending on circumstances.

Hampshire County Council

Email: adult.services@hants.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 555 1386

Portsmouth City Council

In Portsmouth, the Council outsource Occupational Therapy work to Millbrook Healthcare. They provide a comprehensive and responsive community equipment service.

Email: enquires@millbrookhealthcare.co.uk
Telephone: 03332 408 334

Southampton City Council

Telephone: 023 8083 3003

Isle of Wight Council

Telephone: 01983 215774

Grants Available for Larger Home Alterations in Hampshire

Disabled Facilities Grant

Funding for home adaptations in Hampshire

A Disabled Facilities Grant is funding from your local council to cover the cost of recommended adaptions, after a home assessment by an occupational therapist. The amount you get depends on household income and household savings over £6,000. Anybody who is a homeowner, privately renting or lives in a housing association property is eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. Please note, if your relative is not a homeowner, they must intent to live in the property for the next 5 years.

To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, you go through your local city, borough or district council. This can be confusing with the new boundaries! Fortunately, if you let your occupational therapist know you are applying for funding, they will be able to assist you with the process. In some councils, occupational therapists can apply directly for a Disabled Facilities Grant on your behalf.

In Hampshire and the Isle of Wight there are 14 local councils. You can check your local council by entering your postcode here.

Click on your local council below for information regarding access to a Disabled Facilities Grant in your area. Contact details of council Private Sector Housing team are provided:

Local council disabled facilities grant

Our Partners

Get our Free Coronavirus Guide
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.