How to Book a Care Needs Assessment in Hampshire

How to Book a Care Needs Assessment in Hampshire

The Council has a duty to provide relevant care and extra support to those in need. A care needs assessment is a way for the Council to work out how much help your elderly relative may need. They can then guide them towards services and organisations that can provide the right care.

Your relative can also undertake a financial assessment to establish whether they are eligible for Council Funding. Find out more information on the national framework of care and financial assessments in our complete Care Needs Assessments Guide.

Care needs assessments in Hampshire

Caring for someone can be a difficult task, and can cause stress and loneliness. A carer’s assessment can be used to see what would make your life easier. There is plenty support, advice and information available in Hampshire to help anyone who performs a caring role. Please visit our Carer Support in Hampshire page.

How to Apply for a Care Needs Assessment in Hampshire

In Hampshire, there are 4 councils which carry out care assessments: Hampshire County Council, Portsmouth City Council, Southampton City Council and Isle of Wight Council. Each council has there own policy regarding assessment, as outlined below. You can check your relative’s local council by entering a postcode here.

Anyone can request a care needs assessment. However, it is important you have permission from the person being assessed. It is advised that you stay with your relative whilst they are being assessed. This can help where someone may downplay or forget to mention certain care issues.

Hampshire County Council

A care needs assessment is arranged by firstly contacting the council to discuss whether care needs are ongoing or urgent. If so, a meeting is then arranged, and information is sent in advance to help prepare.

Support Request Form
Telephone: 0300 555 1386 

Portsmouth City Council

To request a care needs assessment in Portsmouth, contact the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on the number below. The line is open 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday.

Telephone: 023 9268 0810

Southampton City Council

To apply for a care needs assessment in Southampton, you can use the self-assesssment and eligibility tool. This takes about 10-15 minutes to complete, and you can complete it on behalf of your elderly relative. After getting a result, you will have the chance to make a referral to the council for more information.

Isle of Wight Council

To apply for a care assessment on the Isle of Wight, you must first make an account with the council here. You will then have access to an application form for an assessment.

You can also enquire, or arrange a care assessment over the telephone.

Telephone: 01983 814980

Financial Assessment

If your relative has less than £23,450 in savings or capital (excluding the value of their property if they require non-residential care) they may be eligible for council care funding. The process of undergoing a financial assessment, to determine the extent of funding is again dependent on your local council. Click on the appropriate link below for more information and contact details.

What to do if You’re Not Happy With The Outcome of the Assessment

If the care needs assessment finds that you don’t qualify for council care and support, the council will signpost you to free advice about where you can get help in your community.

Care needs assessment outcomes in Hampshire

If you disagree with the results of the care needs assessment or how it was done, you have a right to complain. Please find details for each council’s complaint process below:

You can also call the council on the contact number provided on the pages above to query a care needs assessment result.

Our Partners

Get our Free Coronavirus Guide
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.