Patient Transport services provide specialist non-emergency transportation for elderly people who require support in getting to and from their healthcare appointments. There are two major organisations providing patient transport in Kent:
- Southern Ambulance Services
- G4S, who are commissioned by the NHS in Kent and Medway.
Both of these services have strict rules about eligibility, as detailed below.
On this page we will guide you through all the available options to help elderly people get to their health appointments in Kent.
Eligibility for Patient Transport Services in Kent
Southern Ambulance Eligibility
A patient is eligible for patient transport services if they meet one of the following criteria:
- They cannot use other forms of travel because of their medical or mobility condition
- If they were not to use these services, their medical condition would worsen
If you are unsure whether or not you are eligible to use Southern Ambulance’s patient transport service you can call them on 01323 404 746.
G4S state that their service is only for people whose health means they cannot get to or from their NHS appointment in any other way. To be eligible you must also:
- Be registered with a Kent and Medway GP
- Be going to or from an NHS appointment (not emergency or privately-funded care) OR home from a hospital stay
- Need qualified assistance en route
To find out more about eligibility you can call the G4S bookings line on 0800 096 0211.
Booking Patient Transport Services across Kent
Southern Ambulance Services
You can book Southern Ambulance’s services online, from this Booking Form. You simply need to provide your name, email address, and details of your planned journey and then they will be in touch with you about a quote. Alternatively you can call them on 0845 600 2055.
G4S Patient Transport
You can book G4S patient transport services online using their Booking Form, or you can call them on 0800 096 0211. When booking online, you must have your NHS number to hand in order to log in. As G4S Patient Transport is for specific NHS appointments only, you will also need to provide the date and time of the appointment you require help getting to.