Home Adaptations for the Elderly in Norfolk

Home Adaptations for the Elderly in Norfolk

Home adaptations are ways in which the home can be altered to improve the wellbeing, comfort and independence of the resident. These can range from minor adaptations, such as installing a temporary ramp or stair grab rail, to major adaptations that can involve widening doorways, installing level access showers or even small extensions. In many cases, council’s are keen to assist in providing home adaptations to prevent unnecessary health and social care costs in future, due to avoidable accidents.

Dorset Home Adaptations for the Elderly

Following a care needs assessment from Norfolk council, such adaptations may be recommended. Where alternations would cost under £1,000 to install, the council will often provide them free of charge. In other cases where larger and more expensive adjustments are required, a means-tested assessment will be needed to determine eligibility for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).

On this page, you’ll be able to find further information on how you can get a home assessment. This will be the first step towards discovering what home adaptations your relative would benefit from, as well as how to secure funding for them.

Getting a Home Assessment in Norfolk

If you’re relative needs help with everyday tasks, it is worth arranging a home assessment. This will involve an occupational therapist visiting them in their home, asking questionings and walking around to build an idea of what they are struggling with. It’s crucial that they are told every little thing that poses a difficulty so that the most suitable measures can be applied. It is recommended to have a friend or relative, such as yourself, with them to assist in confidence when explaining the situation and make sure no stone is left unturned. These assessments usually take at least an hour.

The occupational therapist will then be able to create a report in which they will determine what assistance your relative is eligible for. This report is necessary to apply for funding via a Disabled Facilities Grant. 

Home Assessments and Home Adaptations are arranged by Home Improvement Agencies (HIA). These are not-for-profit organisations that act on behalf of local councils to assist residents living in the area. Below you can find the different HIAs operating in Norfolk and their contact details. They will be able to offer you further advice for home adaptations, home assessments and funding. You can also apply for a home assessment through the government website, here.

Broadland & South Norfolk

King's Lynn & West Norfolk

Great Yarmouth


Grants Available in Norfolk for Larger Home Alterations

When somebody is assigned to fulfil your relative’s home adaptation, they guide you through the process of acquiring a grant. Nationally, this is primarily through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). Depending on your area, there may also be smaller, local charity grants available which your local Home Improvements Agency will be able to direct you towards.

These grants rely on receiving a home adaptations report from an occupational therapist, as detailed above.

Home Adaptations in Cambridgeshire Funding and Grants

The caseworker assigned to fulfilling your relative’s home adaptation will take you through the process of acquiring a grant. The main grant that is allocated nationally is the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). There may also be smaller, local charity grants available, depending on the area, which your HIA will be able to signpost you towards.

These grants rely heavily on a report from an occupational therapist. If you would like to pursue a funding application independently, you can get a council-approved occupational therapist using the following contact numbers:

The Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

The Disabled Facilities Grant is reserved for major home adaptations, which can value up to £30,000 in England. This is a government funded and means-tested scheme. As a result, the amount of funding that your relative is eligible to receive will be directly influenced by their savings and any incomes they might have.

It is still possible to apply for home adaptations and a DFG if your relative is renting, so long as they intend to remain at their current property for at least 5 years. In this instance, all DFGs will be managed by the local HIA. 

In order to begin a DFG application, you will have to contact your relatives local HIA. They will then help to guide you through the application process.

Handyperson Schemes in Norfolk

Where only small home repairs, DIY, or minor alterations are required, the council may be able to offer a handy-person to quickly get the tasks done. This some cases, this will be paid for by the council, however, in others you may have to pay for the work yourself.

The thinking behind these services is that these simple, everyday jobs would usually be done by the home-owner and can be achieved at a small cost by a council-approved, DBS checked handy-person.

Norfolk Home Adaptations - HandyPerson Schemes

You can find the contact details and further information on handy-person schemes for Norfolk below.

Broadland & South Norfolk Handyperson+ Service

The Broadland & South Norfolk Handyperson+ Service is available to help with small repairs and changes that help make homes safer and secure. This is offered to older residents or those who are at higher risk. The team is fully trained and insured for the services they provide. For more information and to request the service, visit the link below:

King's Lynn & West Norfolk: Care & Repair Handyperson Service

The King’s Lynn & West Norfolk handyperson service can complete minor works, adaptations and provide equipment to assist West Norfolk residents with disabilities or debilitating health issues to remain living in their homes for longer.  Works carried out by the handyperson service aim to reduce the likelihood of falls, and help support people with their day to day living and independence. For more information and to request the service, visit the link below: