Patient Transport Services in Sussex offer transport to and from NHS hospitals, out-patient departments, renal dialysis units and oncology centres. These services are available to patients who fulfil a specific eligibility criteria and will not do trips to GP appointments.
Patient transport vehicles are operated by ambulance care assistants (ACAs) who can ensure that an individual’s medical needs are met throughout the journey. Age Space has put together the following guide to talk you through the eligibility criteria for non-emergency patient transport (NEPT) in Sussex and how to go about booking it.
Eligibility for Patient Transport Services in Sussex
Somebody will be eligible for Patient Transport Services in Sussex if they meet one of the following conditions:
- Their medical condition means that they are unable to use other forms of transport without damaging their health.
- Their mobility issues mean that they would not be able to use any other means of transport – for example, stretcher patients.
- They require the skill and support of specialist patient transport for the duration of the journey - for example, to administer oxygen.
A patient’s escort or carer can also be provided with transport where their particular knowledge or skills will be necessary. This can be required when the patient being transported has a mental or physical health condition, is vulnerable, or needs a translator.
Booking Patient Transport Services in Sussex
Non-emergency transport services (NEPTS) in Sussex are provided by the NHS’ South Central Ambulance Service. Patients registered with a GP in the Sussex ICS locality will have access to their services.
Sussex based patients first NEPTS journey must be booked by a healthcare professional or by calling the Central Booking Line. You can then use their NEPTS Patient Zone to book subsequent journeys, manage your bookings and check your journey status.
The Sussex Contact Centres are available on the following telephone numbers:
- Central Booking Line 0300 123 9841 between 07:00 – 20:00 Monday to Saturday (08:00 – 17:00 Sundays and Bank Holidays)
- PTS Cancellation Line 0300 790 0143 available 24/7 365 days a year
- Central Booking Line: 0300 123 9841
- PTS Cancellation Line: 0300 790 0143
The Central Booking Line is available between 7:00am and 8:00pm, Monday to Saturday and between 8:00am and 5:00pm on Sundays and Bank Holidays. The Cancellation Line is available 24/7 for 365 days a year.
Non-Medical Journeys in Sussex
If you find that your relative is not eligible for NEPT services, or only requires a lift to the shops or a social event, you may be interested in our page dedicated to Community Transport Services in Sussex.