Patient Transport Services are non-emergency NHS services for people who may need special support getting to and from their healthcare appointments.
In Surrey this service is called the Non-Emergency Patient Transport Service in Surrey (NEPTS). The service is free and available for residents of Surrey who are registered with a Surrey GP (see CCGs below).
If you are looking for non-medical reason transport options in Surrey, please take a look at our Community Transport page.
Eligibility for Patient Transport Services in Surrey
The NEPTS is available for patients travelling:
- To and from a planned consultation
- To planned hospital admissions and discharges, such as operations
- For hospital transfers
- Home to Surrey from hospitals in other areas of the country
Only certain patients are eligible to use the service. Patients are considered eligible if:
- Their medical condition means they require the skills and support of NEPTS staff during or after the journey
- Their medical condition affects their mobility to such an extent that they would be otherwise unable to access healthcare
- It would be detrimental to their condition or recovery to travel by other means
Booking Patient Transport Services across Surrey
The NHS South Central Ambulance Service provides the Surrey non-emergency patient transport service (SNEPTS). Patients registered with a GP in the Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG) below can access the service. You can check CCG by postcode here.
- North East Hants & Farnham CCG
- East Surrey CCG
- Guildford & Waverley CCG
- North West Surrey CCG
- Surrey Heath CCG
- Hounslow CCG (only for Hounslow patients requiring transport to or from Surrey Hospitals)
Surrey patients’ first NEPTS journey must be booked by a healthcare professional, or by calling the Central Booking Line (contact number below). The NEPTS Patient Zone can then be used to book following journeys, manage bookings and check journey statuses.
Surrey Contact Centres are available on the following numbers:
- Central Booking Line 0300 123 9840 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday
- PTS Cancellation Line 0300 790 0143 available 24 hours every day of the year
Please note, to make a first booking, you will need to have the following information to hand:
- NHS number
- Date of birth
- Home address and contact phone number
- GP practice
- Mobility and care requirmens
- Relevant health issues
- Home access information, e.g. key codes
- Date and time of travel required
- Destination addresses
The person taking the booking will ask a series of questions to assess eligibility.