Home Adaptations For The Elderly In Surrey

Home Adaptations For The Elderly In Surrey

Home adaptations can make your elderly relative’s home in Surrey safer and more comfortable to live in. This can allow them to remain independent for a longer period of time.

Home adaptations surrey

Adaptations can range from small, for example a hand rail, to much bigger, for example a stair lift or bath hoist. To identify the need for home adaptations, a home assessment must be carried out. A care needs assessment carried out by Surrey County Council will often suggest a home assessment.

Surrey County Council will install and fund minor adaptations worth up to £1000.

However, for major adaptations, funding is means-tested and provided through the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). Access to this grant is arranged via the Housing Team at the local council. This page will outline the process to accessing the grant.

Aside from home adaptation grants, there are other ways to help your elderly relative continue to live independently. You may also be interested in:

Getting a Home Assessment in Surrey:

Home assessments are carried out by occupational therapists – healthcare professionals who identify solutions that can help people live comfortably with disability. They will come and survey your relative’s home, looking for where specialised equipment would make life easier.

Visits from occupational therapists are organised by local councils. Please find appropriate contact details below:

Elmbridge Borough Council

Email: careandrepair@elmbridge.gov.uk
Visit Website

Epsom and Ewell Borough Council

Telephone: 0300 200 1005
Visit Website

Guildford Borough Council

Telephone: 01483 505050
Email: customerservices@guildford.gov.uk 
Visit Website

Mole Valley District Council

Home assessments are provided in partnership with Millbrook Healthcare. They are a not-for-profit home improvement agency and registered as a community interest company.

Telephone: 0330 124 3758
Visit Website

Reigate and Banstead Borough Council

Home assessments are also provided in partnership with Millbrook Healthcare.

Telephone: 0330 124 3758
Visit Website

Runnymede Borough Council

Telephone: 0300 200 1005
Email: carerepair@runnymede.gov.uk
Visit Website

Spelthorne Borough Council

Telephone: 020 8825 1759
Email: hiaadmin@a2dominion.co.uk
Visit Website

Surrey Heath Borough Council

Online Enquiry Form
Visit Website

Tandridge District Council

Telephone: 01883 722000
Email: customerservices@tandridge.gov.uk
Visit Website

Waverley Borough Council

Online Enquiry Form
Visit Website

Woking Borough Council

Telephone: 01483 743 668
Email: home.independence@woking.gov.uk
Visit Website

Grants Available in Surrey for Larger Home Alterations:

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

stair lift  that has been installed in Surrey

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a government funded grant for major, large, and essential adaptations. Access to grant is dependent upon recommendation following a home assessment by an occupational therapist.

Adaptations which could be carried out within the home include:

  • An electric stair-lift or through-floor lift to enable access to all floors.
  • A level-access shower to help get in and out of the bath/shower to wash.
  • Specialist equipment to help prevent trips and falls, e.g. adapting doorways and entrances.

If an occupational therapist recommends that major adaptations are needed, there is a financial assessment to work out how much of the grant can be received. The maximum funding available for works under a DFG is £30,000.

If your elderly relative does not financially qualify for a grant, the council can still arrange work for adaptions with a private charge.

Our Partners

Get our Free Coronavirus Guide
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.