Elderly Care Services in Cambridgeshire

Elderly Care Services in Cambridgeshire

Elderly Care Services in Cambridgeshire

Around 20% of the population in Cambridgeshire are over the age of 65, a number that is only predicted to increase over the next decades. Looking after our ageing population is of paramount importance so navigating elderly care services in Cambridgeshire should be as straightforward as possible – hopefully this page can help with that!

Elderly care is generally split into 2 sectors, health and social care. Both are of a high standard in Cambridgeshire. The major hospitals, Addenbrooke’s Hospital and Peterborough City Hospital, perform well in Care Quality Commission (CQC) ratings and Cambridgeshire County Council (CCC) has made improving social care a priority across the region.

One aspect of elderly care that Cambridgeshire has performed worse in than other counties is the transition of patients from discharge into rehabilitation – something CCC is working hard in partnership with the healthcare bodies to address.

NHS Services for the Elderly in Cambridgeshire

As previously mentioned the healthcare service across Cambridgeshire is excellent and benefits from the talent and cutting edge research from the University of Cambridge.

Healthcare is the responsibility of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), one of the largest of its kind in the country. The CCG overseas everything to do with healthcare in Cambridgeshire including the general hospitals, GP services, mental health services, smaller local hospitals all the way down to community care services.

In other counties, CCGs often make up larger conglomerates called Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STPs). In Cambridgeshire the borders of the CCG are synonymous with that of the STP. Although this won’t make a difference to the care your family will receive it is good to know that for Cambridgeshire, the CCG and STP are effectively the same thing.

Cambridgeshire’s Major Hospitals

NHS services

The two major hospitals in Cambridgeshire are Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, and Peterborough City Hospital, Peterborough. Peterborough City Hospital has two wards specifically for Elderly Medicine, on which ‘Dementia Champion’ staff are further trained to help those with Dementia. Cambridgeshire also makes use of the close proximity to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. Additionally, Cambridge has a specialist a specialist cardio-respiratory hospital, Papworth Hospital, as well as a number of smaller community and outpatient-only hospitals.

Community Healthcare in Cambridgeshire

Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust provides community healthcare to the almost 1 million people across Cambridgeshire. Cambridgeshire’s CCG has put a greater emphasis on care becoming more localised, and the recent introduction of Primary Care Networks (PCNs) is their first step into helping local providers cover more healthcare responsibilities.

Although to you and I it just looks like another excuse for an acronym, it should also result in a better, more personalised and effect approach to local healthcare, with more resources being provided closer to patient’s homes.

Finding A GP in Cambridgeshire

Use the NHS GP Directory to find your nearest GP by typing in your postcode.

Local Authority Elderly Care Services in Cambridgeshire

Health and Social care system in Cambridgeshire

Cambridgeshire County Council (CCC) is responsible for the provision of Social Care services across the whole of Cambridgeshire. Over recent years they have been criticised for failing to adequately signpost and connect people to services, leading to a significant restructuring of their website.

Your first port of call for anything social care should be the CCC, including care needs assessments, funding home adaptations and more. CCC do outsource aspects of social care to local charities, like Caring Together and Age UK Cambridgeshire, but for the most part it is them who will organise the social care for your family.

Telephone: 0345 045 5202
Email: careinfo@cambridgeshire.gov.uk

Visit Cambridgeshire County Council’s Social Care Section on their website.

Neighbourhood Teams

Neighbourhood Teams are groups specifically for the physical and mental health of adults over the age of 65 in their communities. Together with GPs, social care services, and independent organisations they work to provide the best care for elderly people in their local area.

There are 14 Neighbourhood Teams across Cambridgeshire that operate every day from 8am – 8pm. Finding, connecting to, and referring your elderly relative to their nearest Neighbourhood Team is a good idea to receive the best care for them.

There are Teams in Cambridge, Peterborough, Swaston, Huntingdon, St Neots, St Ives, Ely, and Wisbech.

To contact the Neighbourhood Team for Cambridge call 0330 726 0077

Searching for Elderly Care Services and Care Homes in Cambridgeshire

The CCC-operated Service Directory is a great place to start when looking for social care services near you. There are over 2,200 services listed with full contact details. You are also able to refine your search using the filters provided including Age, Accessibility, Availability, Category and more. Those in Peterborough can also use the Peterborough Information Network (PIN).

Healthwatch Cambridgeshire

Healthwatch Cambridgeshire is an independent organisation set up to act as the voice of Cambs residents regarding the health and social care services in the county. They also provide a signposting service. Contact them to get help finding health and social services near you.

Care Homes

Use our Guide on Care Home locations in Cambridgeshire to find a suitable care home in the region.

Booking a Care Needs Assessment in Cambridgeshire

A care needs assessment is vital to access many aspect of social care, including funding for home adaptations in Cambridgeshire, homecare, care homes and often day care facilities. It clarifies for both you, the carer, and the council how much help your family member needs and how much the council might be able to provide.

If you feel like your elderly relative may soon require more care it might be a good idea to ask about getting a care needs assessment as the process can sometimes take some time.

You can find out how to go about booking a Care Needs Assessment in Cambridgeshire by using Age Space’s comprehensive guide on the subject.

Specialist Mental Health Services for the Elderly in Cambridgeshire

Mental Health Services in Cambridgeshire

Mental health services are usually referred to by your GP, so this is the first step in accessing these services and to be directed to the suitable health services for individual circumstance. If your family member has been referred to a local Neighbourhood Team, often mental health services will be provided through them – you can find out more on the individual services they supply by following the link. In case of a mental health crisis call 111 and press option 2 for the First Response Service.

If you are in need of bereavement support services in Cambridgeshire visit our page on this topic. For additional Elderly Mental Health Services follow the links below:

Our Partners

Get our Free Coronavirus Guide
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

We’re award-winning!

Age Space is a Dorset Echo Industry Awards 2018 Winner

Our Partners

poundbury wealth


Ask a Question

Post Question

Latest Questions

By: Jim Friel11 months ago

By: Rob Davis1 year ago

By: ezequielvince1 year ago

By: laticiagibson1 year ago

By: raghucs1 year ago

Our Partners

Latest Questions

By: Jim Friel11 months ago

By: Rob Davis1 year ago

By: ezequielvince1 year ago

By: laticiagibson1 year ago

By: raghucs1 year ago