Living Independently in Cambridgeshire – A Guide to Options Available

Living Independently in Cambridgeshire – A Guide to Options Available

Independent Living in Cambridgeshire

As we get older, living independently at home gets harder to maintain safely. Joints get stiff, eyesight might get worse and keys may seem to appear in differen places a little more often.

The good news is that the next step doesn’t always have to be to move directly into a residential care home, there are other independent living options across Cambridgeshire to be considered first.

It may be that your elderly relative is still able to remain in their own current home if a few minor adjustments are made to make it safer to live there. For advice on this check out Age Space’s pages on Safer Independent Living in Cambridgeshire and Funding Home Adaptations in Cambridgeshire.

Getting Help from the EAC

EAC for housing advice in Cambridgeshire

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) works in partnership with Cambridgeshire County Council and local district councils to help elderly people find out what the best move is to combatting problems they are having with their current living situation.

The Housing Options for Older People (HOOP) Tool is a questionnaire that helps narrows down the issues your relative might be facing and then offers advice and can direct to services based on the results. This could be pointing you to local home adaptation agencies or sheltered housing options in the area you want.

Take the HOOP Questionnaire to get advice on Housing Options for Older People on the EAC website.

Downsizing in Cambridgeshire

Downsizing in Cambridgeshire

The first route that most people decide to explore when living independently in their current homes is moving to a smaller, more suitable house – downsizing.

Not only does moving like this free up capital, which can be used to help with future care needs, but it can also make day-to-day living easier by removing stairs, reducing the area that needs to be kept clean and tidy, and decreasing garden upkeep. Downsizing is also an opportunity to move closer to the services your elderly relative might use more often in upcoming years like shops within walking distance, transport links and a GP – this is especially worth considering in case they are no longer able to drive themselves.

Transport Links

Making sure your elderly parents have access to good transport links is paramount in making sure they don’t feel isolated, especially if they no longer feel like they can drive.

For information relating to Public Bus Transport it is best to go to Cambridgeshire County Council’s website, where you can plan your journey, look up timetables and learn about free bus passes.

For comprehensive guides on Community Transport Services and Patient Transport Services, follow the links below.

For more advice on downsizing head to Age Space’s Tips for Helping Elderly Parents Downsize, and take a look at our overview of Elderly Care Services in Cambridgeshire to help inform your decision.

Sheltered Housing in Cambridgeshire

Sheltered Housing doesn’t remove any of the independence or freedom that an older person has, but does introduce the first form of a regular checking and care assistance and allows their family to feel a little more relaxed as to their wellbeing.

Pets are sometimes allowed in sheltered housing schemes

People of a certain age (60+) can buy or rent houses/flats within a self-contained space with communal facilities, which is attended regularly (usually daily) by a ‘scheme manager’, who gives advice to residents, ensures communal areas are clean and arranges maintenance and repairs. Sheltered Housing is also usually accompanied by a 24-hour emergency alarm system for residents to use if, for example, they have a fall.

The major downsides to sheltered housing versus any other downsizing option is that residents will have a to pay a service charge on top of usual bills, and that sheltered housing does not include medical or personal care.

You can find about the sheltered housing schemes in each district in Cambridgeshire by following the links below. In some cases the local council has deferred social housing responsibilities to another company who you will need to contact to find out about sheltered housing schemes in that area:

Cambridgeshire Retirement Homes

Retirement Homes differ from Sheltered Housing mainly in that they are specifically for older people. They still don’t come with any care facilities, however they do have an attending estate manager to deal with upkeep and repairs.

When renting a retirement home there can often be confusing terminology around the lease length – retirement housing can usually come with a lease upwards of 99 years. This just means your parent won’t have to worry about moving before they need to.

As with Sheltered Housing the facilities available vary greatly, depending on how much you are willing to spend if you choose to go privately. Some schemes can have restaurants, swimming pools and grand gardens within the property.

You can find properties within retirement homes on places like RightMove, HousingCare, and Retirement Homes Search.

Extra Care Housing

If it turns out that your family member does in fact need a little more care but not so much that they want to look into residential or nursing care homes, Extra Care Housing is a good alternative.

Extra care housing schemes - independent living in Cambridgeshire

Extra Care Housing schemes are basically sheltered housing/retirement homes with on-site care support staff and domestic services.

To have access to this type of housing the elderly person will have to undergo a care needs assessment in Cambridgeshire. In addition to care needs your relative must also have a housing need, in that their current living situation is no longer suitable for them.

The problems with extra care housing is that:

  • it can be hard to access – your relatives care needs might be too high or too low
  • spaces are often very limited
  • services charges are more expensive than with other schemes

For Cambridge residents visit the council’s website. For Extra Care Housing elsewhere in Cambridgeshire search using Housing Care’s advance search features or find housing on Home-Link.

Our Partners

Get our Free Coronavirus Guide
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.